Also found in: Wikipedia.
city (since 1926) in Perm’ Oblast, RSFSR. Located on the western slope of the Urals, on the Lys’va River (a tributary of the Chusovaia), 133 km east of Perm’. Railroad station on the Kuzino-Kalino line. Population, 73,000 (1972; 27,000 in 1926, 51,000 in 1939).
Lys’va was founded in 1785 to house the workers of an iron foundry constructed there; it was originally named Lys’venskii Zavod. By the early 1860’s, there were four mills in operation. One of the first demonstrations of workers in Russia took place in Lys’va: the Lys’va strike, which lasted from May 18 to May 23, 1861. A Social Democratic organization was created on Apr. 17, 1904, and a strike was carried out under its leadership from February to April 1905. A committee of the RSDLP was formed on March 10 (23); in October 1917, there were more than 1,000 Bolsheviks in the city. Soviet power was proclaimed on Oct. 28 (Nov. 10), 1917.
The city’s largest enterprise is a metallurgical plant, which produces tinplate for the canning industry, galvanized iron, enameled and galvanized kitchenware, and electric stoves. The city has a turbogenerating plant, a ferroconcrete plant, and a stocking and glove factory. A general technical department of Perm’ Polytechnic Institute, an electrical-machine building technicum, and a medical school are in Lys’va. The city has a drama theater.