Mac-Robertson Coast

Mac-Robertson Coast

 

part of Antarctica between approximately 60° and 73° E long.; bounded by the Sea of Cooperation on the north. In the central part the ice is more than 2,000 m thick. In the coastal zone there are many sections that do not have ice, while in the south there is a vast mountain region (the Prince Charles Mountains). The area is being studied principally by Soviet and Australian antarctic expeditions. Since 1954 the Australian scientific station of Mawson has been in operation there. The Mac-Robertson Coast was discovered in 1930 by the British-Australian-New Zealand Antarctic Research Expedition (BANZARE) headed by D. Mawson. It was named after the Australian entrepreneur who financed the expedition.