Machine-Building Technology, Institute of

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Machine-Building Technology, Institute of

 

(full name, Scientific Research Institute of Machine-building Technology of the Ministry of Power Machine Building; TsNIITMASh), the main institute for the development of materials and technological processes in power machine building. It was formed in 1928 in Moscow.

The institute develops new structural, heat-resistant, and corrosion-resistant materials for atomic, steam, and gas power units, hydraulic turbines, and metallurgical equipment, as well as technological processes for the melting, casting, pressure working, heat treatment, welding, and cold working of metals, for the application of protective coverings, and for flaw detection in metals. The institute has about 100 research laboratories, a computer center, a branch in Kharkov, a pilot plant, and departments at the Izhora and Podol’sk machine-building plants. It has resident and correspondence graduate programs, and it issues subject collections and other scientific publications. It was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor in 1976. The Scientific Industrial Association for Machine-building Technology was founded on the basis of this institute in 1976.

V. G. SHUMSKII

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.