Makovets

Makovets

 

an association of Moscow artists. It was named after the hill on which the St. Sergius Trinity Monastery is located. The association was founded between 1921 and 1922. Its members included S. V. Gerasimov, L. F. Zhegin, K. K. Zefirov, E. O. Mashkevich, V. E. Pestel’, M. S. Rodionov, S. M. Romanovich, N. V. Sinezubov, A. V. Fonvizin, V. N. Chekrygin, N. M. Chernyshev, A. V. Shevchenko, and the philosopher P. A. Florenskii. Many members of Makovets, seeking to achieve symbolic and dramatic philosophical images, turned to the traditions of European romanticism, medieval Russian art, and the lubok (popular print). A number of the artists aspired to a heroic and monumental style. Philosophical differences led to the breakup of the association in 1926. Makovets organized three exhibitions (1922, 1924, 1925) and published the magazine Makovets (1922, nos. 1-2).

REFERENCE

Aranovich, D. “Makovets,” Sovetskoe Iskusstvo, 1926, no. 1.
References in periodicals archive ?
Surnames, Names And Patronymics, Telephone Numbers Of The Customers Employees: Makovets Andrey Ivanovich, (01515) 3-34-52, Mob.