(Manufaktur-kollegiia), the central state institution in Russia in charge of industry. Established in December 1717, it began functioning in 1720. Until 1722 it was combined with the Mining Collegium, and that year became an independent institution.
The Manufacturing Collegium authorized the construction of manufactories, gave factory owners permission to purchase peasants for their manufactories, transferred state enterprises to private parties, and acted as a judge for enterpreneurs and rabotnye liudi (bound or free industrial and trade workers) in all except political and criminal cases. The collegium was located in Moscow. In contrast to other collegiums, it did not have local institutions. In 1727 it was abolished and its business transferred to the Commerce Collegium, but that same year the Manufacturing Office was established under the Senate. In 1731 the office was merged with the Commerce Collegium. The Manufacturing Collegium was reestablished as an independent institution in 1742 and lasted until 1779. Reestablished again in 1796, it was eliminated for good in early 1805.