Born Mar. 24, 1885, in Calafat, Dolj Province; died Mar. 9, 1966, in Bucharest. Rumanian architect.
Marcu graduated from the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris (1912) and the Institute of Architecture in Bucharest (he taught there from 1928 to 1955). He was the honorary president of the Architects’ Union of the Socialist Republic of Rumania from 1952 to 1966. Marcu’s work evolved from national romanticism to modernized classicism and, later, to functionalism. His major structures include the Rumanian pavilions at the world’s fairs in Barcelona (1929) and Paris (1937). Marcu’s works in Bucharest include an administrative building on Victory Prospect (1937), the Presidium of the Council of Ministers of the Socialist Republic of Rumania (1937-52), the Ministry of Railroads (1934-50), and the design of Victory Square and the square of the Academy of the Socialist Republic of Rumania (1957-59). He also de-signed the Institute of Physics and Chemistry in Cluj (1939).