a city in Dnepropetrovsk Oblast, Ukrainian SSR. Situated on the banks of the Kakhovka Reservoir. Railroad station on the Krivoi Rog-Zaporozh’e line. Population, 48,900 (1973).
Marganets was founded as a workers’ settlement when the manganese deposit in this area was developed in 1883-86. It became a city in 1938. By 1940 there were 20 mines and four concentrating mills in the city. During the Great Patriotic War of 1941-45, Marganets was occupied by fascist German troops from Aug. 17, 1941, until Feb. 5, 1944; they inflicted enormous damage on the city. In the first postwar five-year plan the city and its industrial enterprises were completely restored; in the ensuing decades the economy, science, and culture of the city have developed.
Present-day Marganets is a major center of the Nikopol’ manganese ore basin. It has a mining and concentrating combine for extracting and processing manganese ore; this enterprise supplies manganese concentrate for the country’s metallurgical enterprises and for export. Other industries in the city include a mining-equipment reppir plant, a building-materials plant, and candy, clothing, furniture, and ribbon factories. There are enterprises of the food-processing industry. There is a forest reclamation station and an evening division of the Krivoi Rog Mining Institute, a mining technicum, and a museum of history and local lore.