Markarian, Oganes Sarkisovich
Born Jan. 13 (26), 1901, in the village of Kalaki, in present-day Ordubad Raion, Nakhichevan’ ASSR; died Dec. 26, 1963, in Yerevan. Soviet architect. Honored Art worker of the Armenian SSR (1961). Became a member of the CPSU in 1944.
Markarian graduated from the division of architecture of the technical department of the University of Yerevan in 1928. He was chairman of the administrative board of the Architects’ Union of the Armenian SSR from 1955 to 1963. Markarian’s designs in Yerevan include a garment factory (1931), a department store (1932-37, in collaboration with M. D. Mazmanian and others), the administrative building of Armenenergo (1938), a brandy distillery complex (1952), the House of Radio (1954), and the cable railway station (1962). His works also include a bathhouse in Arzni (1950, with N. Bazhbeuk) and the City Soviet, a hotel, and residential buildings on Kirov Square in Kirovakan (1955-60).