Also found in: Wikipedia.
a peninsula in eastern Antarctica, between Slava Bay and Gadzhiev Bay (68°30’ S lat. and 154°20’ E long.) in the eastern part of George V Coast. The peninsula is about 50 km wide; its furthest projection into the ocean is Cape Voronin. The surface is a continental ice cap with bedrock outcrops. Nunataks in the western part of the peninsula rise to more than 600 m. The peninsula was discovered by the US expedition called Operation Highjump in 1946–47. Later this part of the coast was studied by a Soviet antarctic expedition (1958) and Australian expeditions. It was named in honor of D. Mawson.