Mechanized Irrigation and Drainage Station

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Mechanized Irrigation and Drainage Station

 

a state enterprise that does land reclamation work on contract for kolkhozes and other organizations; a reclamation-construction organization.

Mechanized irrigation and drainage stations are legal entities allocated fixed and operating capital, the sum of which is known as their statutory capital. The stations were first organized in 1949 in Kursk, Voronezh, Tambov, Orel, and other oblasts of the RSFSR to assist kolkhozes in developing irrigation with local runoff and in building ponds and other reservoirs. In 1950 they were introduced in the Baltic republics and Byelorussia. Since the early 1960’s the stations have gradually been converted into construction and installation administrations and mobile mechanized columns.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Full browser ?