Also found in: Wikipedia.
a city and the center of Meshchovsk Raion, Kaluga Oblast, RSFSR. It is located 26 km northwest of the Sukhinichi railroad station (on the Moscow-Briansk line) and 81 km southwest of Kaluga.
Meshchovsk has been known since the late 13th century, when it was an appanage of the Seversk Land. It belonged to the Grand Duchy of Lithuania in the 15th century and was annexed by Muscovy in 1503. Meshchovsk withstood a siege by the khan of Crimea in 1584 and by the Second False Dmitrii in 1608. In 1776 it became a district city of Kaluga Province. It has a starch plant, a diary, and a brickyard and a pedagogical school.