Mikhail Porfirevich Georgadze
Georgadze, Mikhail Porfir’evich
Born Feb. 28 (Mar. 12), 1912, in the village of Zodi, now under the city soviet of Chiatura, Georgian SSR. Soviet party and state figure. Joined the CPSU in 1942.
Georgadze began working in 1929 as a tractor driver and tractor brigade leader, and he studied at an agricultural mechanization technicum. In 1941 he graduated from the Moscow Institute of Mechanization and Electrification of Agriculture. From 1941 to 1951 he worked in the People’s Commissariat of Agriculture and in the Ministry of Agriculture of the USSR as an engineer, chief engineer, chief of a section, and chief of a department. From 1951 to 1953 he was deputy minister and chief of the administration of machine-tractor stations of the Ministry of Agriculture (later of Agriculture and State Purchases) of the Georgian SSR. In 1953 and 1954 he was first vice-chairman of the Council of Ministers and minister of agriculture of the Georgian SSR. From 1954 to 1956 he was second secretary of the Central Committee of the Georgian Communist Party. From 1956 to 1957 he was first vice-chairman of the Council of Ministers of the Georgian SSR. In February 1957 he became secretary of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR. At the Twenty-third and Twenty-fourth Congresses of the CPSU (1966 and 1971) he was elected a candidate member of the Central Committee of the CPSU. He was a deputy to the fourth through eighth convocations of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR. He has been awarded two orders and medals.