Minsk Automotive Plant MAZ
Minsk Automotive Plant (MAZ)
a major enterprise of the Soviet motor-vehicle industry; produces vehicles of large load capacity.
On Aug. 9, 1944, the State Defense Committee adopted a decision to set up a vehicle assembly plant in Minsk on the basis of small repair workshops. Construction of a large-capacity diesel truck plant began in 1946, in accordance with a resolution of the government of the USSR. By the 30th anniversary of the October Revolution (1947), the first MAZ-205 dump trucks were produced. In subsequent years the following models were incorporated into production: the MAZ-200 stake-bed truck, the MAZ-200V truck tractor, the MAZ-501 all-terrain timber carrier, the MAZ-502 all-terrain prime mover, the MAZ-525 and MAZ-530 25-ton and 40-ton dump trucks, and the single-axle MAZ-529 prime mover.
In 1966, after fundamental modernization, the Minsk Automotive Plant switched to the production of MAZ-500 vehicles without a shutdown. The plant’s workers are steadily increasing the rate of production of modern vehicles. In 1973 the gross output was 3.6 times greater than in 1960 (in comparable prices). The main vehicle models in 1973 were the MAZ-500A stake-bed truck, the MAZ-503A dump truck, the MAZ-504A and MAZ-504V truck tractors, and the MAZ-509 timber carrier. The plant also produces 12 models of trailers and semitrailers. In 1971–72 several models of the MAZ series were awarded the State Seal of Quality. The plant is incorporating the production of two- and three-axle truck trains with load capacities of 20, 25, and 30 tons for intercity and international shipping. The plant has been awarded the Order of Lenin (1966) and the Order of the October Revolution (1971).
A. A. CHEBLAKOV