a medieval city in Khwarazm; presently a site 3–4 km south of the city of Khodzheili, Kara-Kalpak ASSR. Mizdakhkan existed from early feudal times until the 15th century. The site of the fortified town comprises two hills. The remains of fortifications have been preserved on one (Giaur-Kala). On the other hill, there is a cemetery (which is still used) and the mazar of Muzlumkhan-Sul (late 13th through early 14th centuries). Archaeological investigations were conducted in 1928, 1962, and 1964–65. Materials on the city’s history have been obtained, as well as on the religion of Khwarazm.
REFERENCESIakubovskii, A. Iu. “Gorodishche Mizdakhkan.” Zapiski kollegii vostokovedov, vol. 5. Leningrad, 1930.
Iagodin, V. N. “Novye materialy po istorii religii Khorezma.” Sovetskaia etnografiia, 1963, no. 4.