Money Courts

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Money Courts

 

enterprises for the production of coin in the Russian state. They appeared in the second half of the 14th century. In the 15th century more than 20 cities had them, a result of feudal fragmentation and the need for convenience in the completion of financial operations. At various times money courts were located in Moscow, Pskov, Novgorod, and Yaroslavl (the last being the money court established by the second Volunteer Levies). After the government set up a monopoly on the purchase of silver in 1648, only the state minted coin. By 1701 all money courts were closed and only the Zamoskvoreka money court minted coin.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Mentioned in ?