Morshansk


Also found in: Wikipedia.
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Morshansk

 

a city under oblast jurisdiction; the center of Morshansk Raion, Tambov Oblast, RSFSR. Population, 44,000 (1970). The city is situated on the banks of the Tsna River (Oka basin), on the Tambov-Shatsk highway. It is a railroad station on the Moscow-Kuibyshev line, 93 km north of Tambov. Industry is represented by chemical, machine-building, motor-repair plants, foundry and machinery works, a sawmill, a cloth factory, two clothing factories, a tobacco combine, enterprises of the food industry (a meat and poultry processing combine, a creamery, and a beer brewery), and railroad transport enterprises. Morshansk is the site of textile, construction, and library technicums and a museum of local lore. The city arose in 1779 from the village of Morsha, which was first mentioned in written sources in the middle of the 17th century.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
References in periodicals archive ?
Born in Algasovo village in Morshansk district of Tambov province, he converted to Spiritual Christianity at the age of eight when his parents left the official church to join the "Zionites." Forcibly deported to Armenia, the Molokans of Algasovo established the new settlement of Nikitino in 1842; this village became Maksim Rudometkin's headquarters.