Mykolayiv


Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.
Related to Mykolayiv: Rivne, Chernivtsi

Mykolayiv

(mē'kəlä`yĭf), Rus. Nikolayev, city (1991 est. pop. 511,000), capital of Mykolayiv region, S Ukraine, at the confluence of the Buh and Inhul rivers and on the bank of the Dnieper-Buh estuary. A major seaport and rail junction, Mykolayiv exports grain, iron, and manganese. It has shipyards, machinery plants, and an aluminum smelter. Founded in 1784 as a fortress near the site of the ancient Greek colony of OlbiaOlbia
, Ionic Greek colony of Miletus, founded at the beginning of the 6th cent. B.C. It is on the right bank of the Buh River between Mykolayiv and Ochakiv, S central Ukraine. The leading Milesian colony and later a republic, its economy centered around handicrafts and trade.
..... Click the link for more information.
, the city was named Mykolayiv in 1788 when it became a shipbuilding center.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/
Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
In July 2015, another joint tactical training exercise took place in the Southern Bug estuary in the Mykolayiv region of Ukraine, in which the Ukrainian navy, air force, and ground forces practiced conducting an amphibious assault and an airborne landing, further enhancing their joint skills.
Muslim community leaders complained in particular about unresolved restitution claims involving a 118-year-old mosque in Mykolayiv, a famed mosque in Dnipropetrovsk, a 150-year-old mosque in the Crimean town of Masandra, a mosque in Yalta, and the ruins of an 18th-century mosque in the Crimean coastal city of Alushta.
Muslim community leaders complained, in particular, about unresolved restitution claims involving a 118-year-old mosque in Mykolayiv, a famed mosque in Dnipropetrovsk, as well as a 150-year-old mosque in the Crimean town of Masandra and the ruins of an 18th-century mosque in Crimean coastal city of Alushta.