Also found in: Wikipedia.
a classical city on the Kerch’ Peninsula; it was mentioned by such ancient authors as Pseudo-Scylac, Strabo, and Ptolemy. The ruins of the city are located on the northern coast of Kerch Strait, 4 km from the city of Kerch’. Myrmecium was founded in the mid-sixth century B.C. The city was originally independent but later joined the Bosporan state. It ceased to exist in the middle or late third century A.D.
Limited archaeological investigations of the Myrmecium site were conducted in the 1830’s. Systematic excavations were conducted intermittently from 1934 to 1966 under the direction of V. F. Gaidukevich. The structures that have been discovered include defensive walls, residential quarters from different periods, cult structures, and outbuildings (including winepresses, and fish-salting cisterns from the first centuries A.D.). The excavations show that Myrmecium was a major handicraft, trade, and industrial center.
REFERENCESGaidukevich, V. F. Mirmekii, Warsaw, 1959.
Michalowski, K. Mirmeki. Warsaw, 1958.