Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.
a city (since 1925) under the jurisdiction of Moscow Oblast, RSFSR. Railroad station 19 km northeast of Moscow; branch lines run from Mytishchi to Monino (30 km) and Pirogovo (9 km). Population, 125,000 (1973; 60,000, 1939).
Mytishchi is an important industrial center of the Moscow vicinity. The main industry is machine building. The city has a plant, established in 1897, for the production of dump trucks and subway cars, as well as plants for instruments and electrical machinery. The construction materials industry is also well developed. The city is well known for its foundry for casting art objects; monuments to Iurii Dolgorukii and V. Mayakovsky were among the sculptures cast there. Among Mytishchi’s educational institutions are the All-Union Scientific Research Institute of Man-made Fibers, the Moscow Forestry Institute, the Moscow Cooperative Trade Institute, a machine-building school, a technicum, and a medical school. The village of Bol’shie Mytishchi arose in the 15th century. At the end of the 18th century, a pipeline was constructed to supply Moscow with water from the Mytishchi springs.