Nelson(redirected from Nélson)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical.
Nelson,city (1991 pop. 8,760), SE British Columbia, on the Kootenay River. It is a transportation and administrative center for a lumbering and farming region.
Nelson,town (1991 pop. 30,449), Lancashire, N England. It has cotton and rayon factories and electrical engineering works.
Nelson,city (1996 pop. 40,242), N South Island, New Zealand, at the head of Tasman Bay. It is a center of fruit production, with other light industries. The Cawthron Institute for scientific research is in the city. Nelson is known as a retirement and resort area.
Nelson,river, c.400 mi (640 km) long, issuing from the northeast end of Lake Winnipeg, central Man., Canada, and flowing NE to Hudson Bay at Port Nelson. With the Bow–South Saskatchewan–Saskatchewan river system, which enters NW Lake Winnipeg, the Nelson is part of a 1,600-mi (2,575-km) continuous stream from W Alberta to Hudson Bay. There are hydroelectric plants at Kettle Rapids, Long Spruce, and Kelsey. Nickel-mining and -refining operations at Thompson use electricity generated by the river. The Nelson's mouth was explored (1612) by Sir Thomas Button. The river was long followed by fur traders; from 1682 to 1957 the Hudson's Bay Company maintained a trading post at York Factory on Hudson Bay.
a city in New Zealand on South Island. Population, 38,900 (1972). A port on Tasman Bay, Nelson is the center of an agricultural region in which early vegetables, fruits, tobacco, and livestock are raised. Foodstuffs, textiles, and cut lumber are produced there.
a river in Canada. Length, 640 km. The Nelson River flows from Lake Winnipeg and empties into Hudson Bay, draining the Bow-Saskatchewan-Nelson lake and river system, an area of 1,072,000 sq km. The river has many rapids, and the average flow rate at its mouth is 2,370 cu m per sec. The Nelson freezes over from November through May and is navigable for 100 km from its mouth. The city of Port Nelson is located at the mouth of the river. The Nelson River was named for one of the members of the English arctic expedition led by Sir Thomas Button.