1. one of the four cardinal points of the compass, at 0? or 360?, that is 90? from east and west and 180? from south
2. the direction along a meridian towards the North Pole
3. the direction in which a compass needle points; magnetic north
4. the North any area lying in or towards the north
5. Cards the player or position at the table corresponding to north on the compass
1. Frederick, 2nd Earl of Guildford, called Lord North. 1732-- 92, British statesman; prime minister (1770--82), dominated by George III. He was held responsible for the loss of the American colonies
2. Sir Thomas. ?1535--?1601, English translator of Plutarch's Lives (1579), which was the chief source of Shakespeare's Roman plays
1. the northern area of England, generally regarded as reaching approximately the southern boundaries of Yorkshire and Lancashire
2. (in the US) the area approximately north of Maryland and the Ohio River, esp those states north of the Mason-Dixon Line that were known as the Free States during the Civil War
3. the northern part of North America, esp the area consisting of Alaska, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories, and Nunavut; the North Country
4. the countries of the world that are economically and technically advanced
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
What does it mean when you dream about the North?
A dream that calls attention to the northerly direction could be saying any number of different things. The north is the direction of cold and frozen wastes. But it also attracts a compass needle, so it provides direction and guidance. The North Pole is where Santa Claus lives, who annually showers the world with gifts.
The Dream Encyclopedia, Second Edition © 2009 Visible Ink Press®. All rights reserved.