Nataliia Iakovlevna Danko
Dan’ko, Nataliia Iakovlevna
(also, N. la. Dan’ko-Alekseenko). Born in 1892, in Tbilisi; died Mar. 18, 1942, in Irbit. Soviet sculptor and ceramist.
Dan’ko studied in private studios and schools in Moscow, Vilnius, and St. Petersburg during 1900–08. In the period 1909–14 she executed the sculptural ornaments of houses in Moscow and St. Petersburg and of foreign exhibition buildings. In 1914 she began work in Petrograd at the imperial porcelain plant (from 1918, state plant) and became head of the sculpture workshop in 1919. She created more than 300 polychromatic porcelain groups, figurines, relief vessels, and sculptural table sets (including a number of works of so-called agitation porcelain, such as The Worker Embroidering the Banner, 1921) that are notable for their fine feeling for material, knowledge of the traditions of Russian folk ceramics and artistic porcelain, generalized forms, keen social and psychological characterizations, and timeliness of social tenor.
REFERENCESEbin, lu. N. la. Dan’ko. Moscow, 1955.
Ovsiannikov. Iu. M. Skul’ptor ν krasnom khalate. [Moscow. 1965.]