National Museum of Belgrade

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

National Museum of Belgrade

 

(Narodni Muzej), the largest museum of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. Founded in 1844 (the building was constructed between 1903 and 1906 by the architects A. Stefanović and N. Nestrovic).

The museum houses artifacts of primitive and ancient art that were found mainly in what is now Serbia and Macedonia, including Neolithic ceramics and sculptures, a hoard of gold artifacts from Trebeniŝte (sixth century B.C.), a statue of Heracles from Tamnić, and a bust of Emperor Constantine from Niŝ. The museum also contains works of Byzantine, ancient Slavonic, and Serbian fine art of the fifth through 20th centuries, a collection of European painting and graphic art of the 14th through 20th centuries, and a coin collection.

REFERENCE

Narodnyi muzei: Beograd. Belgrade, 1970. (In Russian.)
The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Encyclopedia browser ?
Full browser ?