In 1935 it merged with County Bank Limited and following its acquisition by National Provincial Bank
Ltd in 1962 it subsequently became part of the National Westminster (NatWest) Bank in 1970.
Over the centuries it was used for various purposes including shops and by the late 19th century its appearance had been significantly altered, but when it was acquired by the National Provincial Bank
a sympathetic scheme of works was carried out, restoring it to its original footprint and overall external appearance.
The National Provincial bank
next door was already listed, so Historic England has grouped the architectural interest of early 20th Century neo-classicist banks.
Lost & Found, Cosy Club and The Briar Rose, all in Bennetts Hill, were once home to National Provincial Bank
, Midland Bank and Commercial Union Assurance respectively while the old HSBC in Colmore Row is now Pret a Manger.
Now home to a bar, it was once the National Provincial Bank
, and its 24 door panels were inscribed with Greek letters dating back to the 1930s.
Opened in 1927 and originally the Cardiff docks branch of the National Provincial Bank
, it was owned by NatWest up until 2002.
NatWest's presence in Newcastle can be traced back to 1865, when the branch opened as an office of National Provincial Bank
Jane initially worked in the National Provincial Bank
in Mirfield and took up the school post part-time following the birth of her daughter.
Some have been refurbished as serviced offices, such as Il Palazzo, Water Street, formerly the National Provincial Bank
. Many others have become bars or cafes which do allow the public back in, like the Adelphi (later Co-op) Bank, Castle Street, now Cafe Nero and Liverpool Union (later Halifax) Bank, Brunswick Street, now The Restaurant Bar & Grill.
An early picture of Castle Street taken from a book by Christopher Burrows The Town Clock back in 1900 When it went one-way in 1948 View from other side, date unknown The High Street in 1984 Start of the Spring festival How the High Street looks now Tw o gentlemanchatting in March 19 76 Castle Street in 1906 (left) and Station approach from Christopher Burrows, the National Provincial Bank
in 1937 Fast forward to a picture from 1964 (left), another shot from soon after and how it looks now (right) Mona Street in Edwardian times Mona Street year unknown...
Once a Nat West Bank and before that the National Provincial Bank
of England, the building is evidence of the old phrase 'class is permanent'.
Starting his working life with the National Provincial Bank
in Leamington, Bolton had a short spell at Land Rover before starting a long association with Pearl Insurance punctuated by a two-year break when he ran the Three Pigeons public house in Banbury.