Novogrudok(redirected from Navahrudak)
Also found in: Wikipedia.
(formerly also Nowogródek), a city under oblast jurisdiction, Grodno Oblast, Byelorussian SSR, situated 24 km from the Novoel’nia railroad station on the Lida-Baranovichi line. Population, 21,000 (1974).
According to some data, Novogrudok was founded in 1116. In the mid-13th century it belonged to the Lithuanians. It later became the center of Black (Chernaia) Rus’ (a historical region located in the basin of the upper Neman [Niemen] River). In the 14th century it was repeatedly attacked by the Teutonic Knights and by the Tatars. In 1795 the city was incorporated into Russia, and in 1796 it became a district city of the Slonim Namestni-chestvo (vicegerency). In 1842 it was made part of Minsk Province.
On Oct. 1, 1920, Novogrudok became part of bourgeois Poland, the center of Nowogródek Województwo. It was reunited with the Byelorussian SSR as part of western Byelorussia in September 1939. From July 1941 to July 8, 1944, it was occupied by fascist German troops, who inflicted extensive damage on the city. Under the first postwar five-year plan, the city was rebuilt. Local industry includes plants manufacturing gas apparatus and metal articles, a butter plant, a plant for the production of dried vegetables, a bread-baking combine, and a clothing factory.
The city has a house-museum of A. Mickiewicz, who spent his childhood and youth in Novogrudok.