(also Spas-Nereditsa; the Church of Our Savior in Nereditsa, near Novgorod), an outstanding monument of Russian architecture (from 1198; wall paintings, from 1199). The cube-shaped, single-domed church has four columns and three apses. It is a typical example of Novgorodian churches of the 12th century, which are characterized by simplicity and compact forms. The curving lines, uneven planes, and oblique angles lend a special plasticity to the structure. The frescoes, which were painted by local craftsmen, form an integrated pictorial ensemble. The monumental compositions and the austere, imposing images of the saints were rendered in bold, energetic strokes and have an extraordinary emotional effect. Destroyed between 1941 and 1943, the Nereditsa Church was restored from 1956 to 1958. The frescoes have been partially preserved.
REFERENCESLazarev, V. N. Iskusstvo Novgoroda. Moscow-Leningrad, 1947.
Karger, M. K. Novgorod Velikii. Leningrad-Moscow, 1961.