Also found in: Wikipedia.
(until 1951, Zholkva), a city since 1940, the center of Nesterov Raion, L’vov Oblast, Ukrainian SSR. Located on the Svin’ia River (Bug basin). Railroad station (Nesterov-L’vovskii) on the L’vov-Rava-Russkaia line. Located in Nesterov are enterprises of the food, construction materials, and furniture industries. Nesterov was named in honor of P. N. Nesterov, who was killed in 1914 in the Zholkva area.
Known from 1368 as the village of Vinniki, it was named Zholkva in 1598. In the 17th century a regular plan for the city was drawn up, with a castle (1596–1630) and a trading square in the center. A Roman Catholic cathedral (1604–09), a Dominican church (1653), the wooden Rozhdestvo (1705) and Troitsa (1720) churches, and two-story houses with open arcade galleries on the first floor were constructed in Nesterov.
(Stallupönen until 1946), a city and center of Nesterov Raion, Kaliningrad Oblast, RSFSR. Railroad station on the Kaliningrad-Vilnius line, 140 km east of Kaliningrad. Nesterov has a creamery. The city was named in memory of Hero of the Soviet Union S. K. Nesterov, who died fighting to liberate the city during the Great Patriotic War of 1941–45.