Also found in: Wikipedia.
a city and administrative center of Nesvizh Raion, Minsk Oblast, Byelorussian SSR. It is located at the sources of the Usha River (Neman basin), 14 km from the Gorodeia railroad station (on the Minsk-Baranovichi line). Population, 9,600 (1973). There is a plant for the production of butter and dried milk and a bakery. A factory producing chlortetracycline for feeds and a peat-processing plant are located near the city.
Nesvizh was first mentioned in the early 13th century. Noteworthy architectural monuments include the Radziwillów Castle (foundation laid in 1583; rebuilt after 1726), which has a park and is now a sanatorium. The baroque town hall (1596, rebuilt 1752) is now the Palace of Culture. The city is the site of the Benedictine Nunnery (1590–96), the Bernardine Monastery (foundation laid in 1598), and a Jesuit church (baroque domed basilica, 1584–93, architect G. M. Bernardoni from Como; painting, 1752–54, artist J. Heski).