a city under direct oblast jurisdiction, administrative center of Nev’iansk Raion, Sverdlovsk Oblast, RSFSR. Located on the eastern slope of the Central Urals, on the Neiva River, in the Ob’ basin. A railroad station located 97 km north of Sverdlovsk. Population, 29,800 (1970). Nev’iansk was established early in the 18th century with the construction of an iron smelter and foundry; it became a city in 1917. Under Soviet power, construction materials and wood products have been the city’s chief manufactures. A cement plant, a construction materials combine, a plant producing reinforced-concrete structural members, and a furniture factory are located in the city. Gold is mined in the region. Nev’iansk has a mechanics technicum and a museum of local lore. A local tourist attraction is the tiered, 60-meter-high “leaning” (inclined) watchtower, constructed in 1725.