Also found in: Wikipedia.
a city under direct krai jurisdiction in Stavropol’ Krai, RSFSR. Located on both banks of the Kuban’ River, where it is joined by the Bol’shoi Zelenchuk River, 54 km south of Stavropol’. Highway links to Stavropol’. A station on the Armavir-Prokhladnaia railroad line, with a 71-km branch to the stanitsa (large cossack village) of Ust’-Dzhegutinskaia. Population, 92,000 (1973; 40,000, 1959).
The city has a chemical combine, a primary wool-processing factory, and automotive and tire repair facilities. Other local products include boilers, electrical machinery, vegetable oil, dairy products, household chemicals, and electronic measuring equipment. Milling and poultry combines and a state regional electric power plant are located in the city. The general engineering department of the Stavropol’ Polytechnical Institute is in the city, along with a chemistry and mechanical engineering technicum and a power technicum. Nevinnomyssk was founded as a stanitsa near a small fortification in 1825; it became a city in 1939. The Nevinnomyssk Canal originates there.