Sitka

(redirected from New Archangel)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.

Sitka

Sitka (sĭtˈkə), city (1990 pop. 8,588), Sitka census div., SE Alaska, in the Alexander Archipelago, on Baranof Island; inc. 1971. Fishing, its first industry, remains important; salmon, halibut, red snapper, crab, herring, abalone, and clams are caught. There are canneries, and tourism is also economically significant. Sitka was founded (1799) by Aleksandr Baranov. Destroyed by Tlingits in 1802, the settlement was rebuilt as Novoarkhangelsk and became the flourishing capital of Russian America. There, in 1867, the United States officially took possession of Alaska from Russia. Renamed after the purchase of Alaska, Sitka remained the capital until 1900. The Univ. of Alaska Southeast campus and Sheldon Jackson College are in the city. Points of interest include Sitka National Historical Park, scene of a decisive battle (1804) between the Russians and the Tlingit; the Russian Orthodox Cathedral of St. Michael (built 1844–48); and Castle Hill, site of the transfer of Alaska to the United States, which is commemorated by the annual Alaska Day Festival in October. State logging championships are also held in Sitka. Mt. Edgecumbe, on an island to the west, can be seen from Sitka's harbor.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2022, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Sitka

 

a city in the USA, in southeastern Alaska, on the western coast of Baranof Island. Population, 3,400(1970).

Sitka is a port on the Pacific’s Sitka Sound. Industry is represented by pulp manufacturing and fishing. The city was founded in 1799 by the Russian-American Company and named Novoarkhangel’sk in 1804. In 1809 it became the administrative and chief commercial center for Russian settlements in America. In 1867, after Alaska was sold to the USA, Novoarkhangel’sk became the capital of Alaska and was renamed Sitka. In 1906 the capital was moved to Juneau. [23–1426–]

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitka

a town in SE Alaska, in the Alexander Archipelago on W Baranof Island: capital of Russian America (1804--67) and of Alaska (1867--1906). Pop.: 8876 (2003 est.)
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
References in classic literature ?
In that case, he was to land such part of his cargo as was intended for the establishment, and to proceed to New Archangel with the supplies intended for the Russian post at that place, where he could receive peltries in payment.
This isn't the first time Sitka has attempted to sell water products in bulk, but the last time the town was called Novo Archangelsk (New Archangel) and it was the capital of Russian-America.
Members may take in the historical sights, see Sitka National Park and watch Sitka's New Archangel Dancers perform.
The Russian hold on Sitka was brief, only sixty-three years, but Sitka (which the Russians named Novo Archangelsk, or New Archangel) was once the most developed European-style settlement on the Pacific Coast of North America.
That leaves a big gap for Cordoba to fill for the first leg of the playoff semi-final at the New Archangel Stadium.
In 1799, after the Russians killed everything with fur in the rest of Alaska, they moved their capital here, calling it New Archangel. Which didn't exactly thrill the Tlingit, who'd spent centuries in the place they called Shee At'ika.
In the summer of 1799, he set off once again to establish a new colonial center, the town of New Archangel, today's Sitka.
Then it hit me: New Archangel, the Russian name for what today we call Sitka in Alaska.
So the group became known as the New Archangel Dancers.
Other favorite annual activities are The New Archangel Dancers show, the Variety Show, the Army Band Concert, a Ball, and a memorial service.
An attack by the Tlingit led to retaliation by Baranof, and in 1804 the imperial flag of the czar was planted on Castle Hill and the settlement named New Archangel.
Enjoy music, Native dancers and New Archangel Dancers under the Crescent Harbor Shelter.

Full browser ?