New Baku Petroleum Refinery

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

New Baku Petroleum Refinery

 

(full name, Vladimir Il’ich New Baku Petroleum Refinery), a major enterprise of the petroleum-refining industry of the USSR; located in the city of Baku. The refinery went into operation in January 1953. Its main products are aviation and motor-vehicle gasoline, liquefied gases, electrode coke, and microspherical aluminosilicate catalyst.

From 1953 to 1973 the refinery’s gross output increased by a factor of 8; the volume of petroleum refining, by a factor of 3; and catalytic cracking capacity, by a factor of 5. An automated production control system and a computer data center are in operation at the plant, new production processes have been adopted, and high-capacity petroleum-refining installations are under construction. In 1967, in honor of the 50th anniversary of the Great October Socialist Revolution and for successful fulfillment of socialist obligations, the refinery’s staff was awarded, in perpetuity, the Memorial Banner of the Central Committee of the CPSU, the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR, the Council of Ministers of the USSR, and the All-Union Central Council of Trade Unions. The refinery received the Order of the October Revolution in 1971.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Full browser ?