New Ulm (ŭlm), city (1990 pop. 13,132), seat of Brown co., S Minn., at the confluence of the Minnesota and Cottonwood rivers; inc. as a city 1876. It is a processing and trade center for an agricultural area with grain, soybeans, peas, sugar beets, livestock, and dairy cattle. Beer, electronic equipment, and metal products are manufactured. New Ulm was settled in 1854 by Germans, who named it after Ulm, Germany. In 1862, C. E. Flandrau, then a justice of the Minnesota supreme court, led the defense of the city during a Sioux uprising.