Nikaria | Article about Nikaria by The Free Dictionary
Icaria (redirected from Nikaria)
Also found in: Dictionary
Icaria, Greece: see IkaríaIkaría
, mountainous island, c.100 sq mi (260 sq km), SE Greece, one of the Southern Sporades, near Turkey. It has iron-ore deposits and sulfur springs. According to Greek mythology Icarus fell into the sea near the island.
..... Click the link for more information. .
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.
a Utopian communist country described by the French Utopian socialist E. Cabet in his novel Journey to Icaria (1840; Russian translation, 1924). The name “Icaria” was also given to communist communes in North America created by E. Cabet and his followers from 1848 to 1895. The Icarians were connected with the Socialist Labor Party of the USA and with the First International.
The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
a Greek island in the Aegean Sea, in the Southern Sporades group. Area: 256 sq. km (99 sq. miles)
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
References in periodicals archive
"I boarded Nikaria
II with the intention of landing the year's heaviest conger caught by a BCC woman member," she said.
Husband Chris Martin, former skipper of Newhaven's charter boat, Nikaria
, finished fourth with a 36lb 15oz conger.
- Niinistö, Sauli Väinämö
- Nijhoff, Martinus
- Nijinska, Bronislava
- Nijmegen, Peace of 1678–79
- Nika Revolt
- Nikanchikov, Aleksei
- Nikanchikov, Aleksei Vladimirovich
- Nikandr Chibisov
- Nikandr Evlampievich Chibisov
- Nikandr Khanaev
- Nikandr Lekain
- Nikandr Sergeevich Khanaev
- Nikandr Sergeevich Lekain
- Nikanor Adamovich Khrzhonshchevskii
- Nikanor Chronicle
- Nikanor Dmitrievich Zakhvataev
- Nikanor Khrzhonshchevskii
- Nikanor Zakhvataev
- Nikifor Alekseevich Begichev
- Nikifor Begichev
- Nikifor Borisiak
- Nikifor Damianovich Pavlov
- Nikifor Dmitrievich Borisiak
- Nikifor Efremovich Vilonov
- Nikifor Pavlov
- Nikifor Vilonov
- Nikiforos Brettákos
- Nikiforov, Georgii
- Nikiforov, Georgii Konstantinovich
- Nikiforov, Mikhail
- Nikiforov, Mikhail Nikiforovich
- Nikiforov, Pavel
- Nikiforov, Pavel Mikhailovich
- Nikiforov, Petr
- Nikiforov, Petr Mikhailovich
- Nikisch, Arthur
- Nikischov effect
- Nikita Aleksandrovich Toropov
- Nikita Alekseevich Izotov
- Nikita Bakharev