Sergeev, Nikolai Dmitrievich
Born Sept. 22 (Oct. 5), 1909, in the village of Starye Petrovtsy, in what is now Vyshgorod Raion, Kiev Oblast. Soviet military commander; admiral of the fleet (1970). Member of the CPSU since 1930. Sergeev entered the navy in 1928. He graduated from the M. V. Frunze Higher Naval School in 1931 and from the Naval Academy in 1941. During the Great Patriotic War of 1941–45, he served in the Main Naval Headquarters from 1941 to 1943 and from July 1944 to the end of the war. He commanded a ship brigade of the Volga Military Flotilla from May to September 1943 and was chief of staff of the flotilla from September 1943 to July 1944. After the war, Sergeev served as a department chief and deputy chief of a directorate of the Main Headquarters of Naval Forces from 1945 to 1950 and as head of the Main Directorate of the Naval General Staff from 1950 to 1952. He was commander of the White Sea Flotilla from 1952 to 1956 and deputy chief of the Main Headquarters of the Navy from 1956 to 1964. From June 1964 to July 1977 he was chief of the Main Headquarters of the Navy and first deputy commander in chief of the navy.
Sergeev has been awarded two Orders of Lenin, three Orders of the Red Banner, the Order of the Red Banner of Labor, the Order of Nakhimov Second Class, the Order of the Patriotic War First Class, three Orders of the Red Star, and various medals. He has also been awarded three foreign orders.