Nikopol Southern Pipe Metallurgical Works

Nikopol’ Southern Pipe Metallurgical Works


(full name, Fiftieth Anniversary of the Great October Socialist Revolution Nikopol’ Southern Pipe Metallurgical Works), a large metallurgical enterprise in the city of Nikopol’ producing seamless electrically welded and centrifugally cast steel pipes. The plant began operations in 1935 (at that time it consisted of a small-unit shop and a pipe-drawing shop). Production of pipes in 1939 exceeded the production in tsarist Russia in 1913 by more than one-third. During the Great Patriotic War (1941–45) all basic production facilities were transferred to the Urals. All main buildings and structures of the works were destroyed by the enemy occupation forces. Restoration work was begun after the liberation of Nikopol’ (February 1944). The pipe-drawing shop began production in April 1945. Pipe-rolling shop no. 2, with a model 350 rolling mill, was placed in operation in 1947. The model 140 pipe-rolling unit in pipe-rolling shop no. 1 was assembled in 1950.

From 1950 to 1970 new shops were placed in operation (shops for centrifugal casting of pipes, electrical welding, machining of pipes for geological drilling, and extrusion and drawing of pipes, as well as a continuous pipe-rolling mill). In 1958 the volume of pipe production exceeded that of 1940 by a factor of 8, that of 1959–65 by 44 percent, and that of 1965–70 by 39.9 percent. In 1967 the plant was named in honor of the 50th Anniversary of the Great October Socialist Revolution. The plant was awarded the Order of Lenin in 1966.