Niterói (nētəroiˈ), city (1996 pop. 450,124), Rio de Janeiro prov., SE Brazil, on Guanabara Bay opposite the city of Rio de Janeiro. It is a residential suburb of Rio, and many of its citizens commute to work across the bay. Niterói is also a shipbuilding center. Foodstuffs, transportation equipment, textiles, pharmaceuticals, and metals are the principal products. The area was settled by indigenous peoples in 1573 on land granted by the king of Portugal. The city's name derives from the native word Nyteroi, meaning “hidden water.” By 1819, the indigenous community was extinct. In 1835, Niterói became the provincial capital; it was replaced as capital by the city of Rio de Janeiro in 1974 after Guanabara prov. merged with Rio de Janeiro prov.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2022, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.
a city in southeastern Brazil, located at the mouth of Guanabara Bay, on the bay’s eastern shore, opposite Rio de Janeiro. Niterói is the capital of the state of Rio de Janeiro. Population, 324,400 (1970, including suburbs). The city has a railroad station and is linked by ferry with Rio de Janeiro. Local industries include machine building, chemicals, and food processing. The city was founded in the 17th century.
The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.