Nizhniaia Svir Hydroelectric Power Plant
Nizhniaia Svir’ Hydroelectric Power Plant
(full name, G. O. Graftio Nizhniaia Svir’ Hydroelectric Power Plant), located on the Svir’ River in Leningrad Oblast. The hydroengineering complex includes a concrete spillway 212 m long, with a maximum height of 31 m; adjoining left-bank and right-bank filled earthen dams 1,375 m long, with a maximum height of 28 m; a single-lift navigation lock; and an affluent-type power-plant building 129 m long. The machine room has four units with a power of 26.4 megawatts (MW) each and two auxiliary units for the power plant’s needs. The rated power of the plant is 109.1 MW. The average annual power production is 515 million kilowatt-hours. The plant was constructed between 1927 and 1935 and was the first to be built on soft, compressible clay soils. During the Great Patriotic War (1941–45) the hydroelectric power plant was destroyed, but it was rebuilt in 1948. The electric power is fed into the unified power grid of the Northwest.