Novoaleksandriia Institute of Agriculture and Forestry

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Novoaleksandriia Institute of Agriculture and Forestry

 

one of the first agricultural higher educational institutions in Europe. It was founded in Marymont, near Warsaw, in 1816 as an agronomical institute. After consolidation with the Warsaw Forestry School in 1840, it was renamed the Institute of Agriculture and Forestry. In the 1860’s it was moved to Novoaleksandriia (Puławy, Poland). In 1892, at the initiative of V. V. Dokuchaev, who was a teacher at and director of the institute, it was accorded equal standing with the universities of Russia. In 1914 it was evacuated to Kharkov, where in 1921 it was reorganized as the Kharkov Agricultural Institute, which was later named after V. V. Dokuchaev. In 1916 the Scientific Research Institute of Agriculture was organized from the subdivisions that remained in Novoaleksandriia. This institute existed until 1951, after which it was absorbed by various institutes of the Academy of Sciences of the Polish People’s Republic.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.