a city under oblast jurisdiction in Kuibyshev Oblast, RSFSR. Located on the left bank of the Volga (6 km from the river). Railroad station 24 km southwest of Kuibyshev. Population, 111,000 (1974).
Novokuibyshevsk was formed in 1952 and is developing in connection with the establishment of the petrochemical industry in the area. It has petrochemical and petroleum-refining combines and a synthetic alcohol plant. There is production of building materials, as well as food-processing industry and light industry. Novokuibyshevsk has the evening department of the Kuibyshev Polytechnic Institute, petrochemistry and vocational-teaching technicums, and a medical college.