Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.
Novomoskovsk(nô'vəməskôfsk`), city (1989 pop. 146,000), W central European Russia. An industrial center in the Moscow lignite basin, it has lignite mines and chemical plants. Founded in 1930 as Bobriki, the city was renamed Stalinogorsk in 1934 and Novomoskovsk in 1961.
(until 1934, Bobriki; from 1934 through 1961, Stalinogorsk), a city under oblast jurisdiction and administrative center of Novomoskovsk Raion, Tula Oblast, RSFSR. Located at the sources of the Don and Shat rivers. Railroad station 231 km south of Moscow. Population, 143,000 in 1974 (in 1939, 76,000; in 1959, 107,000). Major center of the Soviet chemical industry.
Novomoskovsk has a chemical combine (see), a chemical-products combine, and plants producing aniline dyes and paint and chemical packaging materials. There is a state regional electric power plant. There is coal mining and production of construction materials (the city has a plaster combine and a plant producing fireclay), as well as food industry and light industry. Novomoskovsk has research and planning institutes for the coal industry and mining machinery construction. There are branches of the State Nitrogen Industry Institute and the Moscow Chemical Engineering Institute, as well as chemical-mechanical, construction, and physical education technicums and medical and music schools. The city has a drama theater and a museum of city history.
Novomoskovsk grew up in 1929 in connection with the beginning of construction of the chemical combine and the state regional electric power plant; it became a city in 1930. The main residential area is in the southern forest-park area, 12 km from the northern section, where the main industrial enterprises are located. The city was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor on Jan. 14, 1971.
a city under oblast jurisdiction and administrative center of Novomoskovsk Raion, Dnepropetrovsk Oblast, Ukrainian SSR; located on the Moscow-Simferopol’ highway. Landing on the Samara River, a tributary of the Dnieper; junction of railroad lines to Dnepropetrovsk, Kharkov, and Krasnoarmeisk. Population, 66,000 (1974).
Novomoskovsk produces piping, reinforced-concrete components, and creosoted railroad ties. It has a bread-baking combine, a furniture factory, and a clothing factory. It also has metallurgical and cooperative trade technicums and a sovkhoz-technicum.
Novomoskovsk’s Trinity Cathedral, a nine-tiered wooden structure, is of historical and architectural interest. Constructed in the years 1773–81 by the master builder Iakim Pogrebniak, it is now a museum of history and local lore. In the Soviet period, the architect K. Li has developed a plan for the center of the city (1967), and a palace of culture for metallurgists was built in 1970 as a design prototype.