Also found in: Wikipedia.
a section of the northern coast of Victoria Land (Eastern Antarctica), between 156° and 166° E long. Approximately 600 km long, the Oates Coast is covered with ice. In the eastern section there are groups of ice-free mountains. It was discovered in February 1911 by the English expedition of Robert Scott and named in honor of Captain Oates, a member of the expedition who perished with Scott as they were returning from the South Pole. It was photographed from the air in 1946–47 by a US expedition. In 1958 it was photographed and explored for the first time by groups of a Soviet antarctic expedition. The Soviet antarctic station Leningrad has been in operation on the Oates Coast since February 1971.