a sandy spit on the northern coast of the Sea of Azov. It extends 30 km into the sea between Obitochnyi and Berdiansk bays. Obitochnaia Spit is composed of sand and shells and has arid steppe vegetation.
In the Civil War of 1918–20, a naval battle was fought near Obitochnaia Spit on Sept. 15, 1920, between ships of the Soviet Azov Flotilla and a Wrangel flotilla. On September 14, General P. N. Wrangel’s White Guard troops passed to the offensive in Northern Tavria along the Donbas and Ekaterinoslav axes. Their coast flank was supported by a White Guard flotilla (one destroyer, four gunboats, one trawler, and one patrol boat), which bombarded Berdiansk on September 14. The Soviet Azov Flotilla under S. A. Khvitskii (four gunboats and three patrol boats) sailed from Mariupol’ to make contact with the enemy. On September 15 the Azov Flotilla spotted the enemy ships anchored in Obitochnyi Bay and engaged them in a battle that lasted, with interruptions, for about six hours. Skillfully maneuvering and firing at the same time, the Soviet sailors sank one gunboat and damaged another. The White Guard ships fled toward Kerch’; en route their destroyer exploded on a mine. The defeat of the White Guard flotilla slowed down the advance of the Whites around Berdiansk.