Odessa Institute of Naval Engineers

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Odessa Institute of Naval Engineers

 

an institute founded in 1930 as the Odessa Institute of Water Transportation Engineers; renamed in 1945. As of 1974 the institute had departments of marine engineering, shipbuilding, ship operations, economics, mechanization of ports, and hydraulic engineering. It had evening departments in Odessa and Baku; correspondence departments in Odessa, Novorossiisk, and Zhdanov; a department for advanced training of workers of the merchant marine; a preparatory division; and a graduate school. It also had 35 subdepartments, a special-problems laboratory, and a research section. The library contained about 320,000 volumes.

During the 1973–74 academic year more than 8,000 students were enrolled, and the teaching staff numbered more than 400, including 17 professors and doctors of sciences and 167 docents and candidates of sciences. The institute grants doctoral and candidates’ degrees. Among the scientists who have worked at the institute are G. K. Suslov, G. E. Pavlenko, V. A. Anichkov, and P. A. Miniaev. The institute publishes scientific and technical collections. Since its founding, the institute has trained about 15,000 specialists.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.