Born Aug. 27, 1845, in Pest; died June 10, 1914, in Budapest. Hungarian architect.
Lechner studied at the Polytechnic Institute in Budapest and the Academy of Arts in Berlin; he also received artistic training in France and England. From 1868 he worked in Budapest. A representative of eclecticism and later of art nouveau, Lechner strove to impart a national character to the appearance of his structures. He was one of the first architects in Hungary to build with concrete and steel. His designs include the Museum of Applied Art (1893–96), the Institute of Geology (1898–99), and the post office and savings bank building (1899–1902)—all in Budapest.