Also found in: Wikipedia.
Old Vic,London repertory company and theater. The Old Vic theater opened in 1818 as the Coburg, and was renamed the Royal Victoria in 1833, soon familiarized to the Old Vic. In 1914 it became a Shakespearean repertory company organized by Lillian Baylis; by 1923 the entire stage works of Shakespeare had been presented. After Baylis's death in 1937, other directors such as Michel St. Denis and Michael Benthall used the space for productions and actor training. From 1963–76 it was the temporary home of the National Theatre of Great Britain (see Royal National TheatreRoyal National Theatre
a government-funded repertory company based in London. Although the idea for such a company originated in the 19th cent., the National Theatre was not finally established until 1963, with Laurence Olivier appointed as director.
..... Click the link for more information. ). Briefly closed due to funding cuts, it reopened in 1983. Again threatened by lack of funds, it was purchased and preserved by a charitable trust in 1998. In 2003 a restoration drive was organized, and the formation a new Old Vic company was announced; the current artistic director is Matthew Warchus.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/