Omsk Institute for Agriculture

Omsk Institute for Agriculture

 

(full name, S. M. Kirov Omsk Institute for Agriculture), founded in 1918. In 1935 it was named after S. M. Kirov. In 1974 the institute included departments of agronomy, zootechnics, agronomical chemistry and soil science, mechanization of agriculture, land drainage and irrigation, economics, land management, and dairy technology. There is also a department for improving the qualifications of agricultural specialists, a correspondence school, a preparatory division, a graduate division, 54 subdepartments, two experimental training farms, and 86 teaching laboratories. The library contained 600,000 volumes in 1974. In the 1973–74 academic year, 8,300 students were enrolled at the institute, which employed about 450 instructors, including 18 professors and doctors of science and more than 180 docents and candidates of science. The Omsk Institute for Agriculture is entitled to confer doctoral and candidate’s degrees. It publishes its transactions (Trudy). Between 1918 and 1973 21,000 specialists were trained at the institute. It was awarded the Order of Lenin in 1971.

G. P. SAPRYGIN