Ordzhonikidzeabad

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Ordzhonikidzeabad

 

(called Iangibazar until 1936), a city (since 1965) and administrative center of Ordzhonikidzeabad Raion, Tadzhik SSR. Located in the Gissar Valley, on the left bank of the Kafirnigan River, a tributary of the Amu Darya River. Railroad station 21 km east of Dushanbe. Population, 29,000 (1974).

Ordzhonikidzeabad has keramzit (porous clay filler for cement), machinery-repair, and furniture factories, a cotton-ginning plant, a metalworks, and a brickyard, in addition to housing-construction and flour-milling combines and a broiler factory. It also has a statistical technicum and a medical school.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
References in periodicals archive ?
Supporters of the Islamist-democrat coalition were driven back first to their earlier stronghold in the town of Kafirnihan (formerly Ordzhonikidzeabad), and finally to the Garm region itself.