Also found in: Dictionary, Acronyms, Wikipedia.
Orsk(ôrsk), city (1989 pop. 271,000), Orenburg region, in the foothills of the S Ural Mts., central Russia, on the Ural River. It is the center of the Orsk-Khalilovo industrial area, which has rich iron, copper, nickel, and coal deposits. There are metallurgical and chemical plants, machine works, and a major oil refinery. Orsk was founded in 1735.
a city under oblast jurisdiction in Orenburg Oblast, RSFSR. Situated in the Southern Urals at the confluence of the Or’ and Ural rivers. Junction of railroad lines to Orenburg, Sverdlovsk, Gur’ev, and Svetlyi. Population, 237,000 (1974; 66,000 in 1939, and 176,000 in 1959). The city is divided into three districts.
Founded as a fortress in 1735, Orsk became a city in 1865. Before the October Revolution of 1917 it was primarily a commercial center; industry consisted of small, inadequately equipped enterprises. During the years of Soviet power, however, the city has been transformed into a major industrial center of the Urals, with enterprises based on rich local deposits of various minerals.
The city’s principal industries are nonferrous metallurgy, machine building, food processing, and the production of petrochemicals. The largest enterprises are the Iuzhuralnikel’ Combine, which produces nickel; plants that process nonferrous metals; an oil refinery, which processes petroleum from Kazakhstan, Western Siberia, and Bashkiria; a synthetic-alcohol plant; and plants manufacturing heavy metallurgical and mining machinery. Other plants manufacture construction machinery, electrical installation equipment, and metal structural members. Orsk also has a large meat-packing plant and garment, knitted-goods, and confectionery factories. Educational institutions include a pedagogical institute, a branch of the All-Union Correspondence Polytechnical Institute, medical and music schools, and technicums specializing in petroleum, industry, and machine building. There is also an evening technicum for construction. Orsk has a drama theater and a museum of local lore. In 1971 the city was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor.