Also found in: Wikipedia.
a city and administrative center of Ovruch Raion, Zhitomir Oblast, Ukrainian SSR. Population, 14,200(1974). Situated on the Norin River (Pripiat’ basin), Ovruch is a railroad junction with lines to Korosten’, Kalinkovichi, Ianov, and Belokorovichi. The city has a cannery and a plant producing canned milk. Other products are mixed feed, linen, and rein-forced-concrete components. A branch of a Kiev plant producing vending machines is located in Ovruch. A number of local enterprises serve the railroad industry. The city has a museum of history and local lore.
Architectural landmarks include the Church of St. Basil (late 12th century, attributed to the architect Petr Miloneg; restored in 1908–12 by the architect A. V. Shchusev). The brick, cruciform domed church has four internal piers and two rounded towers attached to the western facade.